Beyonce: Love is an endless act of forgiveness
Should we forgive cheating? Last week Beyoncé and Jay-Z released their joint album. In it, Beyoncé appears to forgive her husband for his earlier infidelity. Should others follow her lead?
It is 16 years since Beyoncé and Jay-Z started dating. Throughout their marriage, rumours of Jay-Z’s infidelity have continued to surface.
In 2016, Beyonce released her album Lemonade, which features a number of lyrics that seem to be about Jay-Z’s infidelity. Jay-Z responded a year later in an album of his own, confirming the rumours.
And now the pair’s surprise joint album – Everything Is Love, released by “The Carters” — seems like the end of a trilogy.
The chorus of the album’s final track, Lovehappy, gets to the heart of the current state of their relationship:
“You did some things to me/ Boy, you do some things to me/ But love is deeper than your pain and I believe you can change.”
In other words: you’re forgiven.
This seems out of character for Beyoncé, who’s image is that of a strong, independent woman and an ardent feminist.
Historically, adultery has been considered a serious crime by many cultures. “Thou shalt not commit adultery” is the sixth commandment.
There is a stigma associated with staying in a marriage where one partner has been unfaithful. Hillary Clinton faced huge criticism for staying with her husband, Bill, after he was unfaithful.
Should we forgive adultery?
Once a cheat, always a cheat, say many. How can marriage be sacred and special if breaking that trust is forgiven? Forgiving cheaters is a sign that you do not value yourself very highly. And there are always other people out there who would never lie to their partners.
Author Esther Perel sees things differently. Almost every person, she says, has been closely connected to infidelity. It’s not simply the case that good people stay loyal and bad people cheat. And as Perel says, cheating isn’t simply about lust; it is about “reconnecting with lost parts of yourself”.
- Should you forgive cheaters?
- Think of five reasons why a couple might want to divorce. In order, list them according to how legitimate you think they are.
Some People Say...
“This beach ain’t always been no paradise/ But nightmares only last one night.”Beyoncé
What do you think?
Q & A
- What do we know?
- Since Beyonce and Jay-Z have been together there have been several rumours about Jay-Z’s infidelity, which both have confirmed in the lyrics to some of their songs. Now they have released a joint album where they give the impression that Beyoncé has forgiven Jay-Z.
- What do we not know?
- Whether the image they are putting across in their music reflects what is really going on.
- The Carters
- Jay-Z was born Shawn Corey Carter.
- In 2013, Beyoncé stated in an interview with Vogue that she considered herself to be “a modern-day feminist”. She has also said that “we should all be feminists”.
- A set of rules that Jews and Christians believe God gave to the people of Israel.
- A set of negative and often unfair beliefs that a society have about something.
- Hillary Clinton
- After it was proven that the affair had occurred, she admitted that she had been misled about it by her husband.