Quiz: a week in 12 questions + Caption Competition
“Mmm. This is a terribly big world.” Send us your captions, please!
Who said, “Torture the data and it will confess to anything”?
- Winston Churchill
- Oscar Wilde
- An economist called Ronald Coase
The WHO predicts how many deaths from climate crisis in the year 2030?
- 25 million
“Are you lazy, or just incompetent?” Whose favourite insult is this?
- Jeff Bezos
- Richard Branson
- Alan Sugar
What are the “flying doctors” a year from now, imagined by one writer?
- Specially-trained pigeons
- NHS drones
- Emergency medics on motorbikes
What is Area 51?
- Amazon’s biggest warehouse
- A mysterious crater on the Moon
- A top-secret US Airbase
Who owned the Isle of Wight before it was sold to the King in 1293?
- The Pope
- Countess Isabella de Fortibus
What proportion of British bees have vanished over the past 10 years?
Where does the brand-name Spandex come from?
- It is an anagram of “expands”
- It is Latin for “stretchy”
- It is randomly generated by a computer
What are “straws in the wind”?
- Fake news
- Signs of things to come
- New ideas
Who said VE Day was “very sad”?
- Jazz trumpeter Humphrey Lyttleton
- Israeli politician David Ben-Gurion
- Very Lynn
What is totalitarianism?
- Economic austerity
- Government by using data
- Dictatorial government
Where is Tom Cruise aiming to set his next action movie?
- In space
- On Mount Everest
- On the wreck of the Titanic
Click here to see the answers ...
1c, 2b, 3a, 4b, 5c, 6b, 7c, 8a, 9b, 10b, 11c, 12a